Saturday, June 15, 2019

A HARD Grounding at Isle of Palms - Awanaw Creek Anchorage

We were up at 6:00 am in order to leave at 7:00. The harbor was ready buzzing with activity. We crossed from Charleston Maritime Center to the ICW without trouble. There was much to view along the way.

Spirit of South Carolina



Charleston Maritime Center Marina

Fort Sumter

Cross overlooking the Harbor

Kayaker battling the waves

Kayaker making way to Fort

Sailboat passing Fort

We had to pass through the Isle of Palms where dredging is currently being done. We heard boaters call to the dredge for instructions on how to pass the work boat. We got under the swing bridge north of Charleston right at 8:00 am and could see the dredge ahead of us pretty quickly. Dave called and asked how the captain would like us to pass. He responded with a lovely southern accent but we didn't quite understand his directions. He said he would stop working while we passed close to his port side. Dave slowed to idle speed and pointed Mystic about 30 feet off the dredge. The captain came on the radio but we didn't realize he was telling us to come closer because he had a work skiff circling him and we thought he was talking to that captain. In an instant, we hit a wall of solid mud. Both of us were thrown forward, Dave hitting his leg on the throttle which didn't help the situation. I hit my wrist on the frame of our hatchway. I vaguely remember this happening but sure knew about it later when my wrist and thumb began to ache and a big purple bruise spread around my arm. We actually bounced off the wall of mud then slid backward. Dave made a circle before going back at it, this time passing only about 5 feet from the dredge. In general, you would not want to be this close to a working boat; nor would you be welcome there. The captain gave me the thumbs up and we waved a thank you. As soon as we passed him we found 12 feet of water.




This was a pretty traumatic grounding for me. We've seen so much skinny water and have been so careful, yet we manage to hit bottom. For me, this one was the last straw. As soon as we passed the dredge I began to cry. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Dave kept reminding me that we were fine. When I could speak I explained that crying was my way of dealing with the stress. It is my way of getting my frustration out. It made me feel better too.

Mid afternoon we turned up Michael's Cut. This was very shallow, as low as 8 feet at times. We slowed down and maneuvered according to Bob's trail of blue. We arrived at our anchorage at Awanaw Creek around 1:00. There was already one trawler there, a Looper Boat named Panda Bear. Soon two more trawlers arrived and joined us in this beautiful anchorage. Buckhall Recreation Area sits nearby. These are very popular waters. We spent a quiet afternoon after our eventful morning. I made macrame bracelets, which I call "courage", pink for me and bone for Dave. These bracelets are a reminder that I am braver than I believe and stronger than I think. It is a reminder of how much we've accomplished in good times and bad.

“You’re braver than you believe
and stronger and smarter than you think.”
Winnie-the-Pooh


Views Along Michael's Cut







There is a weird high tide at this anchorage. It is one foot higher than the low tide dropped. We are so high up that we can see the ocean across the marsh. The tide shifted and we turn to face away from the ocean. Swells come up behind Mystic's hull causing a lot of movement. It is hard for us to move around the boat. We heard a high pitched whining sound that we thought was our anemometer (wind speed indicator) but turns out to be our prop spinning in the strong current. It could have been hard to sleep with all the noises but we slept well until we were wakened at midnight to a hard rain. Dave checked the radar which indicates only two little blips, both right over Mystic. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get rained on!

This is a beautiful anchorage. It was worth the harrowing morning. Our good night's sleep rejuvenated us. Once again we survived!

Letting my hair down after a hard day

Lighthouse in the distance

Our view of the ocean at high tide

Good Night Awanaw Creek

Full Moon Over Awanaw

Looper Panda Bear on the Right

Panda Bear off of Mystic's Starboard side

Sunset at Awanaw Creek

Panda Bear anchored at Awanaw Creek

Panda Bear at Anchor

Good morning Awanaw

Soft morning light over Awanaw


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We grounded the same area. Fortunately, it was a soft grounding and we were able to power through.