Friday, April 19, 2019

Rocky Raccoon

We've been sitting behind two huge cabin cruisers here at St. Augustine Marine Center for over a year now. The other day Dave noticed a young raccoon meandering around our hull and under our jack stands. We watched in amazement as he made his way to a boat only 20 feet from us and climbed the ladder to the cockpit navigation area. Without looking back, he slipped behind an isinglass panel and disappeared into the boat. The owner of this boat had been in St. Augustine on our last visit. We knew he was trying to sell it so we beat feet up to the Marine Center office to let them know that Rocky (we named him) was squatting alongside of us. They didn't seem too concerned by this information but mentioned that they had trapped and re-homed other furry hobos in the past. They did promise to contact the owner though.

Rocky visited us every day and when we were working in the path of his daily fishing adventures he eventually found the courage to walk cautiously past us on his tiptoes. Always, he ended his day aboard the cabin cruiser aptly named Que Sera.

Our very first sight of Rocky

Rocky hiding on the top of the flybridge

I see you, do you see me?

Contemplating the risk

Scared but hungry

One step at a time

I wonder if I can blend in here

She's still watching me

Maybe if I pretend to be a statue?

Never mind...I'll try again later

On his way to the hiding place

Up, Up, Up and Over

Over and behind

My safe spot. Now I'm watching YOU!



No comments: