Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Harry P Leu Gardens

The 50 acre Harry P Leu Gardens popped up at the top of my search list of things to do near Orlando. I'm so glad I decided to go on this adventure. These gardens are simply gorgeous! I spent the morning wandering through the trails, taking my time, enjoying the tropical and native gardens planted by the fourth owners of the property, Harry and Mary Jane Leu. Harry was a local businessman who married his secretary late in life. They had no children but they loved Camellias so they planted 240 varieties here. The camellias are currently in bloom. I took a free tour of the turn-of-the-century Leu House Museum located in the center of the gardens. It is tastefully furnished with original and donated antiques. The tour guide gave a great history of the home and shared a lot of information about the furnishings. 

In 1961, the Leu's donated the house and gardens to the City of Orlando who now maintain it as a park. They are willing to share cuttings and seeds with visitors, but by appointment only. How cool is that!

The gardens were filled with people, like me, meandering through the paths at their own pace. As I was walking through the butterfly garden, I saw a dad with a small child sitting on a bench. The little cherub looked up at me with a toothy grin then blew me a kiss! I laughed loudly and blew a kiss back. The dad said, "Yeah, she's good about those kisses!" This small gesture made my day even more wonderful!

This was my favorite mini-adventure during my time in Orlando. They charge $10 admission and it was well worth the cost. I highly recommend a visit!


View of Lake Rowena ~ Harry P Leu Gardens

Spanish moss covered trees

More Spanish Moss

Light through the Spanish Moss

Banyan Tree

Palm

Mary Jane's Rose Garden

Dew on Rose

Pink Rose

Rose Garden

Rose Garden

Horseshoe Fountain

The Leu House








More Gardens

The Floral Clock

The Floral Clock

Lichen

Purple Azalea

White Azalea

Camellia

Camellia bud

The Wedding Circle

Bamboo

Bamboo

Bamboo

Camellia

Petticoat Palm

Bee on White Camellia

Gazebo

Weather Vane

Trellis in the White Garden

Orchid

White Garden Bench

White Camellia

Trellis

Trellis Cupela

Bismarck Palm

Ruffled Fan Palm

Tropical Flower

Dwarf Pink Powderpuff Tree

2 comments:

leemikcee said...

So, so lovely! Thank you for taking such beautiful photos and sharing them. Hugs!

Cruising - Team Rogers said...

Thank you leemikcee! Now that we are in the South you'll have to start planning a visit! So much to see and do!