Monday, March 20, 2017

Detour With A Twist

Our current detour began with a week in Minnesota. Dave managed to catch the trending flu bug while we were there. It's a doozy! He had all the accoutrements including runny nose, headache, congestion, fever, chills and body aches. Too bad he had to bring it with him to New York City for the Architectural Digest show. His work is very physical and requires long hours on his feet. I worried about him the entire trip.


We love our visits to the Big Apple in the spring. This is our first time being here with real winter weather. It has been cold and snowy with a true Nor'easter arriving during our stay. It was cool seeing the city all shut down instead of crazy busy with tourists.

New York City After Nor'Easter Storm Stella's Visit





















Unfortunately, I injured my back working out in the hotel fitness center. It's one of those things that happens to us "fit" people. One minute we are working our way through strength training; the next, we can't move! Things got really interesting with pain. Dave was ready to take me to a local hospital but I begged for one more day in bed and was thrilled to feel better by morning. My workouts have been curbed until 100% of the pain is gone. Until then, slow, gentle stretches and walking will have to do.

Each time we come to New York City I find new things and new places to explore. Our hotel was only a few blocks from Central Park so I visited as often as possible. Since I'm stuck with walking, I meandered through some new paths and found lovely spots that I hadn't seen before.

























For the third year in a row we are in New York City for the St. Patrick's Day parade. It is hard to describe this day when everyone becomes Irish and everything is green! The parade boasts no cars (except for those at the start), and no floats. This is a parade of people, kilts, bagpipes and Irish pride!
















The United Airlines New York City Half Marathon was on Sunday, March 19th. I was able to watch the runners from our 37th floor window. I made my way down to cheer them on, wishing I was running with them. The course starts in Central Park and makes it's way through Times Square and down to Wall Street. How cool!






Buzz Lightyear and Woody stop to take a selfie

As our stay in New York City comes to an end, we look forward to taking the train to Connecticut. We'll visit our family and friends there, then make our way back to sailboat Mystic in Mobile, Alabama. Finally, it will be time to resume our cruising journey.

1 comment:

leemikcee said...

Great photos, Beth. Your adventures continue wherever you are. "Fit" people also get older, like it or not. :-( Hugs!