Friday, March 4, 2016

Girl Interrupted...

My friend Sonya referred to me as Girl Interrupted when she heard I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It fit me perfectly since I am known as a healthy, vibrant, middle-aged, middle of the road, good living kind of gal. I took the news like anyone who has just been kicked in the gut with steel toed shoes! I fell to my knees and quivered while my world shook. Dave reacted pretty much the same, the news shook him to the point of teeth chattering. Everything had changed.

With Sonya at Ragnar Great River 2014

One good thing about having breast cancer is that you get answers FAST! Within a week of diagnosis, we learned that I had non-invasive DCIS, which means that the cancer is contained and can be removed. It's treatable AND beatable! My particular cancer was small and detected early. I would survive this, not unscathed, but with a favorable outcome.

Sonya went through this journey herself about 5 years ago. I am lucky to have a friend to help me navigate this foreign and frightening maze. Even though my situation was better than many cancer diagnoses, it's still a daunting challenge! We worried about so many things including expense, outcome and OMG will we be able to go sailing in July!


From my friend Kathy Battista Izbicki
This will go with us aboard Mystic!

The good news is, I'm going to survive this. I'll have to drag myself through a bit of yuk, then we'll put this in perspective and move on. We'll leave in July (or maybe August) and live life on the water, exploring new places aboard our Alberg 35, Mystic. Our appreciation of all things wild and wonderful, all things bright and beautiful will be greater than ever! We are greatful for the slap upside the head reminder; live life fully every day and be the best person you can be! This breast cancer thing is just another detour in the journey called life!

Blankee From Jaymi Mikla

Treatable, Beatable, B~Strong

BC My Comfort Puppy

No comments: